Friday, January 4, 2013

Inner Beauty Friday - Book Club!

Hello!

Again my apologies for not posting on the regular!  We went on a 4 day trip for New Year's and I never realized how badly I need to be at HOME with MY STUFF, to even begin a post.  I don't know how people do it from their phone. 

Anyhoo... With out further ado I am once again linking up with Blonde... Undercover Blonde for Book Club:








This week I read "All Over But the Shoutin'" by Rick Bragg
All Over But the Shoutin'

Synopsis from Goodreads.com: "This haunting, harrowing, gloriously moving recollection of a life on the American margin is the story of Rick Bragg, who grew up dirt-poor in northeastern Alabama, seemingly destined for either the cotton mills or the penitentiary, and instead became a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter for The New York Times. It is the story of Bragg's father, a hard-drinking man with a murderous temper and the habit of running out on the people who needed him most.

But at the center of this soaring memoir is Bragg's mother, who went eighteen years without a new dress so that her sons could have school clothes and picked other people's cotton so that her children wouldn't have to live on welfare alone. Evoking these lives--and the country that shaped and nourished them--with artistry, honesty, and compassion, Rick Bragg brings home the love and suffering that lie at the heart of every family. The result is unforgettable"


My thoughts: I wouldn't go so far as to say this book was unforgetable, or a "soaring" memoir - it is interesting but oddly unemotional.  I also felt like it skimmed the surface of his life rather than gave an in depth look.  I see he has written other books about his family so maybe he was saving up material for those!  All in all, it was ok. 

Jasmine 




4 comments:

  1. What a shame this book didn't live up to the synopsis! I used to be a part of blogging book club and don't really know what happened with it! This seems like so much fun!

    giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good just not great - and I am interested in his other books. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I hate posting from my phone! Welcome back ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's way to advanced for the likes of me :) and Thank you!

      Delete