Monday, April 28, 2014

A Slew o' Books Sunday!

Hello,

I some how have been reading a quite a clip this past week and enjoyed several of them so I thought I'd share.  Especially because I love, love book posts on blogs!  If you know of a blog that frequently shares booknerd info let me know in the comments!

And hopefully over there on the left of this page you can see my Goodreads.com ticker so you know what I'm reading if your interested :)

Anywhoo...

A Gracious Plenty

A Gracious Plenty by Sheri Reynolds

Synopsis from Goodreads.com: Badly burned in a household accident when she was a child, Finch Nobles grows into a courageous and feisty loner who eschews the pity of her hometown and discovers that she can hear the voices of the people buried in her father's cemetery. Finally, when she speaks to them, they answer, telling their stories in a remarkable chorus of regrets, explanations, and insights.

My thoughts:  This was a quick, interesting read.  Finch is a likable character and the story is the kind that you don't have to think about a lot, but you come away feeling better for have read it. And there are talking ghosts!


Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, #2)

Hollow City by Ransom Riggs

This is the 2nd book in the "Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children" series - which I had such high hopes for and was just ok - so then I wanted this book to perhaps redeem it...

Synopsis from Goodreads.com: The extraordinary journey that began in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children continues as Jacob Portman and his newfound friends journey to London the peculiar capital of the world. But in this war-torn city, hideous surprises lurk around every corner. Like its predecessor, this second novel in the Peculiar Children series blends thrilling fantasy with never-before-published vintage photography to create a one-of-a-kind reacting experience.

My thoughts: It was even worse than the first.  It's just the same thing over and over again.  Kids run into bad situation miraculously get out of it, run into it, get out of it.  It gets old after like 5 times and that's not even half the book.  The only redeeming part is the cool pictures.


The House at Tyneford

The House at Tyneford by Natasha Solomons

The synopsis from Goodreads.com: It's the spring of 1938 and no longer safe to be a Jew in Vienna. Nineteen-year-old Elise Landau is forced to leave her glittering life of parties and champagne to become a parlor maid in England. She arrives at Tyneford, the great house on the bay, where servants polish silver and serve drinks on the lawn. But war is coming, and the world is changing. When the master of Tyneford's young son, Kit, returns home, he and Elise strike up an unlikely friendship that will transform Tyneford—and Elise—forever.

My thoughts: This was a bit of guilty pleasure, I am a sucker for British countryside, upstairs/downstairs-esque literature.  I love Downton Abbey and this is in that vein except for a little bit later in history.  And I also thought it had a bit of twist at the end.

That's enough for now.

Jasmine

1 comment:

  1. Miss Peregrine's sounds awful. :( What a bummer, I had high hopes for it too but I was a little disappointed in the first book! Tyneford sounds really interesting, I will have to add that to my GR list.

    ReplyDelete